Professor of Public Policy and Management
1. Higher education
2012 EdD (Education; thesis: An investigation into the role of professional learning on the online teaching identities of higher education lecturers), The Open University
2004 MA (Educational Studies), De Montfort University
2003 PGCE (Further Education and Training), University of Greenwich
1984 BA Hons (Applied Language Studies: French, Spanish, Politics), Ealing College
2008 RSA Assessor and Verifier, Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
2007 Certificate in Counselling Skills, Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body (CPCAB)
2005 Member, Staff and Education Development Association (SEDA)
2004 Certificate in Leadership Skills for Managers, University of Bedfordshire
2001–2015 Member (MCIL), Chartered Institute of Linguists (French, Spanish)
1981 Diplôme de langue Française, Alliance Française, Cannes, France
1. Appointments and experience
2018–present Professor and Director, Centre for Innovation in Legal and Business Education
2017–present Senior Lecturer in Public Policy and Management, The Open University, Faculty of Business and Law
2015–2017 Lecturer in Public Policy and Management, The Open University, Faculty of Business and Law
2012–2015 Lecturer in Social Policy, The Open University, Faculty of Arts and Social Science (fixed term)
2011–2012 Research Fellow, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences (fixed term)
2010–2011 Project Officer/Researcher (Student Progression and Retention: University Focus area 4), The Open University, Student Services
(a) Selected Invited keynotes, expert panels and seminars
- 2022: Invited Keynote: Open University Conference: Teaching and Learning Festival, 17th September: How can the scholarship of teaching and learning research help us to make sense of our work and professional identities, The Open University UK.
- 2022:Invited Keynote: University of Birmingham Business School Conference on learning and teaching, 08/09 Sept: ‘Publishing and promoting your scholarship: Impact and Engagement.’ Birmingham Business School, Birmingham.
- 2022:Invited Keynote: Open University EdD residential school, online, 13 March, 2022: ‘From Thesis to publication.’
- 2022:Expert Panel Member. Times Higher Education Event for Digital Universities Week UK: Can edtech help break down bias in online learning ? Shaw Theatre, 15 March 2022, Pullman London St Pancras Hotel, 100-110 Euston Road, London, NW1 2AJ.
- 2021: Seminar. The Northern Celebration of Education: CelebrateEd 2021, 30 June online.
- 2015-22:20 external and internal seminars on blogging for academic impact and Writing for The Press, at, for example: BELMAS Conference (2017,18,19), for the OU, biannually (2019,20,21,22).
- 2021: Expert Panel Member. British Education Suppliers Association Annual Conference (BESA) and AGM ‘The Future of Education’, and reception at the House of Lords, October 21, QE11 Conference Centre, London.
- 2021: Expert Panel Member. British Educational Research Association. Public Seminaron ‘Post Pandemic Leadership’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoQJNSmFFE.
- 2021: Expert Panel member. British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society 50th Anniversary Keynote panel. Leadership for the future of education: https://www.belmas.org.uk/Summary-of-the-Opening-Symposium.
- 2019: Presentation /seminar to Governor Support Leeds: Outcomes of Leverhulme funded Grant:Understandings and formulation of democratic strategy in federated school structures and the implications for school governor development.
- 2015—pres: Over 30 Open University & external seminars; ‘Blogging for Doctoral Students’
- 2018: Invited Keynote. Inspection: Legitimacy, independence and trust for The Standing International Conference of Inspectorates of Europe, 17 November 2019 Belgrade.
- 2018: Invited Keynote. Raising Standards through Multi Academy Trust Inspections. Inside Government Conference. Tuesday 19th July 2018, Holborn Bars: MAT Accountability: Challenges and Opportunities for Inspectors and School Leaders.
- 2018: Invited Keynote: Governor Net: Governors as leaders 22nd November 2018, Holborn, London.
- 2018: Seminar Series. Trust, capacity and culture Seminar Lecture – UCL The Institute of Education -24/04/18: www.educationalevaluation.net: https://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Play/12186.
- 2018: Seminar , Strategic Leadership in Governing bodies- BELMAS seminar, July 30th, 2018.
- 2018: Seminar, Governance as Strategic leadership, seminar for staff of The Key School Governors, May 6th, 2018.
- 2018: Seminar, Governance as Strategic Leadership, Leeds, School Governor Support department, Leeds City Council.
- 2018: Invited Keynote: The University of Leicester Postgraduate Conference: 160718. Title: ‘Trust, capacity, and Accountability in Education in England’.
- 2018: Invited seminar: Writing for Management in Education: what you need to know, BELMAS international conference 2018, July 22-24, Carden Park, England,
- 2018: Public Education Seminar Lead. Trust, Accountability and Capacity to improve learning outcomes in South Africa: Policy Making Inferences. JET Education, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2017: Invited Keynote. Standing Conference for Inspectorates of Education (SICI). Keynote speech Paris 2017: 13–15th November: Title: The School Inspector: Policy Implementer, Policy Shaper in National Policy Contexts.
- 2017:Consultation event: The Future of Inspection. Office for Standards
- 2015: Open Lecture. Postgraduate Conference: Great Thinkers and Their Thinking. Faculty of Social Sciences, The Open University. Friday, 15 May 2015. Title: Erving Goffman; research insights.
- 2015: Invited member of expert panel NGA National Conference 2015.
- 2014: Invited Guest lecture The University of Middlesex. Online Teaching Cultures.
- 2014: Invited lecture-The Key, School Governors Ltd: ‘Roles and identities of school governors in areas of high socio-economic deprivation.’
- 2014: Invited lecture –Uprising Programme– funded through The Cabinet Office – My Voice, My Vote – ‘Campaigning and activism on social issues’- July 2014 Bedfordshire Council Chambers.
- 2011: Invited Guest Lecture-Perth Deanery -NHS. ‘Teaching Doctors.’ Challenge and Opportunities on short courses.
- 2011–present: National Educational Speaker Amnesty International. As part of this voluntary role, I speak to students and schools about the work of AI and how to go about creating online activist campaigns. My speaking engagements over the past 2 years have included for example: WOZA South Africa, The University of Bedfordshire; Redbourne Upper School; De Montfort University; The University of Luton; Bedford Academy.
- (c) Editorships and reviewing
- 2022-pres: Grant Reviewer Agence Nationale de La Recherche-France.
- 2020-pres: Grant Reviewer UKRI.
- 2021-pres: Grant reviewer Leverhulme Trust
- 2017-pres: Grant reviewer ESRC
- 2021–present: Member of International Advisory Board, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Leadership Studies
- 2016–2021: Editor in Chief for the Sage journal: Management in Education
- Commissioning special issues in equality and diversity in educational leadership and management, in order to provide doctoral students with the most cutting-edge research in these areas.
- Took journal from 1200th place in world education journal rankings to 435 out of 1597 education journals within 5 years; now in the 20 Educational Administration journals on Google.
- Commissioned special issues on : Diversity in Educational Leadership (10k downloads to date); Women in Educational Leadership (16k downloads to date) and The EdD Journey (9k downloads to date).
- 2020–present: Founding Editor
- SCiLAB blog: Blog to promote research and innovation in the area of teaching, learning and curriculum in online learning: http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/scilab/.
- 2015–2020: Founding Editor
- The British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration (BELMAS) Blog: https://www.belmas.org.uk/BELMAS-Blog.
- With the aim of bringing research (educational and cross-field insights) to the attention of the academic and practitioner community. Since inception, the blog has increased hits to the site by over 300% and offers a forum for brief insights and commentary on current issues in education and related fields: a major public engagement initiative offering academics and practitioners the ability to engage others concisely and informatively.
- 2017–2019: Founding Editor and Coordinator
- Department of Public Leadership and Social Enterprise Blog: http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/PuLSE-Blog/.
- 2012–2014: Education Columnist for The Conversation
- Ruling the School – Politics, policy and power in education:
- 2014–2017: Public Policy and Social Affairs Columnist for The Conversation
- My column: Public spectre: Politics and power in public services. Since 2016 my articles have been read by 53,709 readers from 27 countries and featured in the top 10 of the ‘most read articles’ for the OU.
- 2012-pres: Reviewer for: Public Management Review 4*: EMAL 4*; Cambridge Journal of Education 3*: Oxford Journal of Education 3*; British Educational Research Journal 4*.